Posted on behalf of the American Cancer Society Office in Athens, GA:
We are trying to locate office volunteers for our Athens, American Cancer Society office. We are looking for volunteers who may be willing to volunteer on a weekly or bi-weekly basis, either a morning or afternoon shift (3 to 4 hours a week.) Computer knowledge and familiarity would be beneficial but it’s certainly not required and we are happy to train a volunteer who shows interest and aptitude.
We rely on volunteers heavily to help promote the mission of the American Cancer Society. Normally the community sees our volunteers in a fundraising capacity only. Fundraising is not everyone’s ‘cup of tea’ and non-fundraising volunteers are just as vital to our organization. The sense of giving to one’s community and/or doing something for a greater cause can be very rewarding!
Volunteering at the American Cancer Society could include receptionist related duties similar to those as listed below. (Did I mention we are happy to teach you?!)
- Use a multi-line phone system, greet customers in front office, and route calls to proper staff.
- Compare accounting spreadsheets and documents for accuracy (either in paper format or directly in the computer program) and make corrections as needed.
- Maybe you have the skills or desire to work on our websites by uploading Team fundraising earnings. (Requires being comfortable learning new technology and the ability to do basic math -addition, subtraction, multiplication and division with the use of an adding machine/calculator.)*
- Help us process donations (if/when needed.) This includes counting of money (banding paper monies and rolling of coins) and verifying volunteer accounting sheets.
- Customer service for assisting cancer patients with wigs and cancer related brochures and information.
- Help with mail outs – making copies, cutting postcards, applying postage.
- Learn about our signature fundraiser, Relay For Life and learn to answer specific questions on local events and give directions (either on the phone or in person.)
We need someone who is
* Professional in demeanor, willing to answer volunteer questions and assist staff when needed.
* Friendly, kind, level-headed and polite.
* Discrete and will abide by the confidentiality rules of the American Cancer Society.
Any help you can give us would be greatly appreciated! Help us get the word out to others that you know in the community that may be interested in volunteering also.
Thank you so much for all you do for us at The American Cancer Society.